Frequent asked questions
Where is the Alhambra?
The Alhambra is located in Granada, Spain. It is a palace and fortress complex that dates back to the 14th century and is considered one of the finest examples of Moorish architecture. The Alhambra is situated on a hilltop overlooking the city of Granada and offers stunning views of the surrounding area. It is a popular tourist attraction and a UNESCO World Heritage site.
How to get to the Alhambra?
There are several ways to get to the Alhambra, but they are different depending on whether we want to go on foot, by car or choose to take the bus.
How to get there on foot
Although the Alhambra is located near the city center, we must bear in mind that its elevated situation means that we have to climb several slopes.
- The most direct way is to go to Plaza Nueva square and, once there get the street Cuesta de Gomerez in the opposite site.You enter the Nasrid complex through the Puerta de las Granadas and then cross the beautiful forest of the Alhambra, which surrounds the entire enclosure. You will walk through poplars, horse chestnut, shade plantains, acacias, hazelnuts, laurels, maples and some poplars. You will find three paths that lead to the entrance pavilion to the Alhambra, where the ticket offices are located. The path of the center, wider than the other two, leads to the Tomato Fountain which has a monument dedicated to the Granada writer Ángel Ganivet. The distance between Plaza Nueva and the entrance pavilion to the Alhambra is approximately 1 km.
- You can also walk along the street Cuesta del Rey Chico (or Cuesta de los Chinos) at the end of the street Paseo del Darro you will find the Paseo del Darro. Cross the last bridge before Cuesta del Chapiz street. And begin a considerable ascent with a wide flight of stairs, which then rewards you with a beautiful landscape. You will walk along the towers of the wall and a stream of water. This road ends at the El Mimbre Restaurant, there you turn left and you will find the main entrance of the Alhambra.
- A third way would be through the steep slopes of Realejo, and it is a good option if we are in this neighborhood. To do this we must climb the Cuesta del Realejo and the street Antequeruela Baja, very narrow streets, but they also lead us to our destination.
How to get there by bus
The Alhambra is well connected to the public transport service. In the city there is a line of red minibuses that can pass through the narrow streets of Albaicín and Realejo.
Departures from square Plaza Isabel la Católica:
See bus schedule
How to get there by car
- The fastest way is by the Granada Ring Road (N-323, A44). We turn off at exit 132 Ronda Sur. At all times you will find the signs to the Alhambra. When we enter the long tunnel of the Serrallo we will join in the left lane to take the exit 5A. When leaving the tunnel, at the next roundabout, take the direction Avda. of Santa Maria de la Alhambra, an uphill path that leads us to the Old Cemetery Road. We will reach a roundabout where the signs will tell us to turn left to reach the parking of the Alhambra. We recommend taking the Granada Ring Road (N-323, A44) as the easiest way, but there are others.
- If we are in the center of Granada, we have the option of going along the Carretera de la Sierra until we reach the roundabout that leads us to the Avda de Santa Maria de la Alhambra.
- Another way is through the Paseo de la Bomba until you take the Cuesta Escoriaza, and up the streets Vistillas de los Angeles, Cuesta del Caidero and Antequeruela Baja. Once we reach the Alhambra Palace Hotel, we just have to continue along the Generalife promenade to get to the parking. This option is not very advisable for those who have never been to Granada, since it is easier to get lost.
What is the Nasrid Palaces?
Where can I buy tickets?
Phone number: +34 858 953 616.
Automatic machines located in the Alhambra and in the Andalusi monuments.
Ticket Office, access pavilion (subject to availability for the current day).
Are the tickets nominative?
Can I change the name of the visitor?
the identification of the visitor may be changed up to the day before the visit in the following proportion per purchase locator (letter code and identification number in the ticket reservation and sales system, up to a maximum of 30 people):
From 5 to 9 tickets: 1 name.
From 10 to 19 tickets: 2 names.
From 20 to 30: 3 names.
Can I change the date or time of the visit?
I want to cancel my ticket. Is it possible?
I have children. Do they need a ticket?
- Minors from 3 to 11 years old: you must book the ticket accompanied by the tickets for adults. Having a ticket is a guarantee for any incident that may occur at the monument.
- Minors under 3 years old: you can ask for the ticket in the ticket office. No booking required.
How long does it take to visit the Alhambra?
Does the Alhambra offer guides or audioguides?
The Council of Alhambra and Generalife does not offer guide services. However, we offer visitors an audio guide service. For further information: https://www.alhambra-patronato.es/en/visit/services/audioguides